World Food safety Day 2015!
The Belize Poultry Association wishes all consumers in Belize a Happy and fruitful World Food Safety Day.
We take this opportunity to inform Belizeans that ALL Chicken and Eggs in Belize are safe to Eat!
How are eggs handled safely?
Proper refrigeration, cooking, and handling should prevent most egg-safety problems. Persons can enjoy eggs and dishes containing eggs if these safe handling guidelines are followed:
• Wash utensils, equipment, and work areas with hot, soapy water before and after contact with eggs
• Don't keep eggs out of the refrigerator more than 2 hours.
• Raw eggs and other ingredients, combined according to recipe directions, should be cooked immediately or refrigerated and cooked within 24 hours.
• Always cook eggs until both the white and yolk are firm.
• Casseroles and other dishes containing eggs should be cooked to a safe minimum internal temperature of 160 °F. Use a food thermometer to be sure.
Serve cooked eggs and dishes containing eggs immediately after cooking, or place in shallow containers for quick cooling and refrigerate at once for later use. Use within 3 to 4 days.
Poultry Meat Safety guidelines:
Wash your hands before handling food and often during food preparation
Wash and sanitize all surfaces and equipment used for food preparation.
Protect kitchen areas and food from insects, pests and other animals
Separate raw and cooked food
Separate raw meat, poultry and seafood from other foods.
Use separate equipment and utensils such as knives and cutting boards for handling raw foods
Store food in containers to avoid contact between raw and prepared foods
Cook food thoroughly, especially meat, poultry, eggs and seafood.
Bring foods like soups and stews to boiling to make sure that they have reached 70ºC. For meat and poultry, make sure that juices are clear, not pink.
Ideally use a thermometer.
Reheat cooked food thoroughly
Keep food at safe Temperatures
Do not leave cooked food at room temperature for more than 2 hours
Refrigerate promptly all cooked and perishable food
Use safe water materials
Use safe water or treat it to make it safe for cooking